School History

School History

St. Mary’s Primary School

From September 2013 , St. Mary’s Primary School has become a co-educational school catering for all classes from Junior Infants to Sixth Class .  

Up to this point, our school had been a Senior Boys school with pupils from Second to Sixth Class.

The school was founded in 1856 and parts of the original building are still used as a school. Our present school building dates from 1959 and was extended in 1979.

In 1835 James Hevey, a brewer in Mullingar bequeathed lands near Bryanstown for the education of poor children of the parish of Mullingar. By 1856 a site for  school was rented from Lord Granard for £15 a year and £5000 was spent on the building of the Hevey Institute.  The school was divided into two wings.The West wing was dedicated to the preparation of students for entry to St.Patrick’s College, Maynooth and here the students studied Latin and Greek. In the East Wing  students studied a mixture of practical and academic skills.  During the 1860′s there was as many as 400 students. Nearly all counties were represented in the student body. Some had journeyed from as far as South America.

The primary school was built in 1959. The structure allowed for an expanding student population by including a flat roof which could accommodate an additional storey. However the extension that was completed in 1979 was added adjacent to the 1959 construction in keeping with planning restriction. This extension is currently home to five classrooms, the G.P. Room, kitchen and staff-room.

Recent years have seen much upgrading and modernization at St. Mary’s Primary. Changes to both landscaping and pedestrian walkways have made the school more accessible to all. A policy of ongoing¬† improvement continues.

St Mary’s Primary School¬†is a ¬†‚Äėgreen‚Äô school. This¬†makes St. Mary’s Primary¬†eco-friendly as well as child friendly.

Since its foundation, St Mary’s Primary¬†has forged a distinctive identity in the town of Mullingar and surrounding districts. It has exercised democratic, Christian and progressive influences on the community which it¬†serves.¬†St Mary’s Primary¬†continues to fulfill the ideals begun by Blessed Edmund Rice¬†and James Hevey and guide the ethos and mission statement that¬†are integral to our school¬†.